Thought Catalog

I got hooked to a website, Thought Catalog, for quite sometime. Most of the articles are really meaningful and relate-able. I even got enlightened by some of the articles. This all started when WJ showed me an article which both of us have exact sentiments that this article is somehow talking about our friendship.

This Is Why You’re My Best Friend

We’re best friends because you get it. I’m not sure what that means (it’s all so vague) but whatever it is, you have it. I don’t need to explain anything to you or worry if you’ll get the joke. You already got it and are on your way to making the next one. Thanks, babe! You really make socializing a lot easier for me.
Precisely! I find it pretty amazing that most of the time I can read his mind without him opening his mouth or even at one glance. And yes, we always tease each other, every single day, every single moment regardless of texts or face-to-face. And I swear this friend's hobby is to irritate and annoy me.
We’re best friends because you love me even when I’m terrible. It’s easy to love someone when they’re doing well, it’s easy when there’s nothing but happiness and good vibes. The real challenge comes when everything is crap. You’re not a fun person to be around, people are screening your number and you’re a damn social pariah. But you don’t care. Even at my most Carrie Bradshaw, you’re still down to get brunch with me and talk about dicks.We’re best friends because I can take you anywhere and you’ll adapt. Whether it’s the chicest party or some insufferable family gathering, you’ll deal with it like a champ. I don’t have to worry about leaving you alone or keeping you entertained. You go do your thing. I do mine. Let’s meet back at the bar in an hour.
We have seen the ugly side of each other and we will enlighten each other instead of just providing a listening ear and keeping our mouth shut. We always debate. He has plenty and plenty of opinions about my decisions, the things I say and do. He is just like a naggy granny, nagging about everything and anything. 
We’re best friends because you never make me uncomfortable. I think about most of my friends and realize that they’ve made me feel weird at some point in our friendship. Whether it’s from an awkward silence or an off-color remark, I’ve felt unsure about them. Not you though. I always know that you make sense and that this makes sense.
Never in this friendship I got neglected by WJ. He is one of the most meticulous that I know. He will constantly ask me if I am alright or if I feel uncomfortable when I am with his friends. Really thankful for such actions. And we never have any awkward silence moment whenever we meet. If both of us are not talking, the only reason that is will be because we are tired.
We’re best friends because we can go for long stretches of time without talking and it won’t damage the relationship. We always pick up where we left off. Surfaces changes mean nothing to us. You could become a vegan who goes by Moonshadow and attends Burning Man, and I would still feel closer to you than anyone else. We don’t need common interests in order to connect. We don’t need a mutual love of music or sports or whatever to keep us together.We’re best friends because you don’t get resentful or jealous if I get into a relationship or land an amazing job. I mean, maybe you are and that’s fine. The important thing is that you keep it to yourself like a best friend should.
The longest time that we did not keep in contact was during poly whereby both of us only met like twice in a year? Which is during his and my birthday. And we did not text each other very often. Yet such surface changes did not affect our friendship. Instead every meet-up session became what we looked forward to cos' there are so much to tell each other.
You’re my best friend because you’re not afraid to call me out on my crap or disagree with me. I can’t get away with anything when I’m with you. You’ll tell me things that I need to hear but everyone else is too afraid to tell me. Your honesty is so damn refreshing albeit a bitter pill to swallow sometimes. 
Both of us are always frank with each other cause we both know that neither he nor I will put up a black face and get angry. I can just get upfront with him and tell him straight in his face that he is annoying and he will just laugh it off, apologise and tell me he will try to change. Change is what both of us are willing to do for each other. And of course changing for the better, not solely for the sake for him/me cause we got to remain true to ourselves. And we don't change only when we find there is a problem with each other. We are kind of observant and 'automatic', when we feel that something is amiss, we will try to fix it instead of ignoring. There is no pressure on choosing the right word to say. One downside of 'think before you say' is that you're hiding your true emotions. My account maybe clouded by my own emotions and thank god he will always be there to help me to think rationally but I always rebuke him that nobody can understand how I really feel 'cept for myself hahaha but that's true isn't it. Even if two people experienced the same thing, they may not feel the same 'I feel you' is kinda untrue.
We’re best friends because you make feel less alone in this psycho, flaky world. It’s amazing how often you can feel disconnected from people. It’s amazing how many people can betray you, or fail to understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. When I see you, it’s a burst of reassurance that I’m not the only who looks at the world this way. There’s someone else. And that someone is you.
I couldn't express how thankful and how blessed that I am to have him in my life. To say such thing is not just because we click well but his actions, his words make me feel that he really understand me and I always feel appreciated and valued. I am truly thankful that he is not a typical egoistic and prideful guy otherwise I would go bonkers. He takes in opinions and dares to admit to his mistakes. I believe in equal contributions to keep a friendship healthy, we give and take, we accommodate. He doesn't mind shopping for clothes with me and I don't mind running errands with him. Quoting a paragraph from another article:  
Somebody loves you if they assume the role of caretaker when you’re sick. Unsure if someone really gives a shit about you? Fake a case of food poisoning and text them being like, “oh my god, so sick. need water.” Depending on their response, you’ll know whether or not they REALLY love you. “That’s terrible. Feel better!” earns you a stay in friendship jail; “Do you need anything? I can come over and bring you get well remedies!” gets you a cozy friendship suite. It’s easy to care about someone when they don’t need you. It’s easy to love them when they’re healthy and don’t ask you for anything beyond change for the parking meter. 
(Source: http://thoughtcatalog.com/ryan-oconnell/2011/07/how-to-tell-if-somebody-loves-you/
And that's him!  There are various occasions when I am unwell and he would ask if I need food, medicine etc instead of 'get well soon'. I know that I can count on him if anything happens. Because he is always there for me all along, I should treasure this friendship more than ever and not taking him for granted. Thank you my friend, you're the best ever. 有你真好 ~
Don’t settle for secondhand love, for the friend who was there all along. Don’t settle for the one who stuck around regardless just because you knew they would. Just because you knew they would answer your texts late at night, laugh at your jokes, and call you on your bullshit doesn’t mean you love them. Not in that way. Settling for secondhand love wouldn’t be fair to them.
Don’t settle for a friend because it’s convenient, or because you know it will make them happy. Don’t say your heart’s in it when it’s not. It would be cruel to give them false hope, to make them think you’ll change your mind. Logically, you could, because on paper, it makes sense. You make sense together. You could grow to love them the way they want you to, but chances are you won’t. "
(Source: http://thoughtcatalog.com/ella-ceron/2013/12/no-one-deserves-secondhand-love/

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Top ↑